Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Always Learning

   You would think that spending four months living on campus would entirely prepare you for the next four months. Well, it's not true.
    It's not that I know NOTHING about this coming semester. I know the fastest routes to get to my classes. I know how the dining commons works. I know how to get to church, Starbucks, the Gryphon, WaWa, Kmart, King of Prussia Mall...you know, places that matter(:P). I know that there is chapel on Wednesdays&Windows of the World on Fridays. I know which door leads to the Student Aids office and which one leads to the Student Accounts office(does anyone understand anything past that point?). I know that an entire tray of Sodexo cookies can easily become empty in 5 minutes or less. I know that looking for parking in Hainer/KeaGuffin is normally a waste of time. I know to come to the auditorium for Actor's Lab(at which all expectations of Actor's Lab activities must be left at the door). I know that taking showers requires wearing flip-flops. I know (what seems like) a lot about Spring 2012.
     With all that knowledge, you think I would be pretty calm about going back to school. I mean, after all, I know so much, right? Hhhhhmmmmmmm....NOPE.
     Turns out there's a lot about this semester that I don't know. I don't know what being a Stage Manager for a musical is like. I don't know if I'm going to be completely in love with or totally sick of my major after taking four communication classes in one semester(I'm praying its the first). I don't know what it's like to be part of a class with 159 other students. I don't know how I'm going to manage to not accidently cut myself on a tomato slicer when assigned to wash dishes at the Breezeway. I don't know how to attain the time management skills that I failed to attain this past semester. I don't know how I'm not going to go insane eating to-go meals every Thursday night when I have my night class(somebody PLEASE tell me there's another cheap option!). I don't know how I'm going to muster up any initiative to go to the gym and stay in shape. I don't know how Eastern expects me to get a good grade in research methods when their database is so terrible. I know (what seems like) nothing about Spring 2012.
      On one hand, I find this incredibly intimidating. Because, let's be honest, I've only skimmed the surface of what I know and don't know about Spring 2012.
      On the other hand, I find this incredibly encouraging. Because, let's be honest, if I knew everything, I wouldn't be going to school in the first place.
      Out of everything I know and don't know about Spring 2012, I do know that Jesus will be with me every step of the way. I know He gets it. Have you ever thought about that? He gets it. The great teacher made Himself a student every single day. He was always learning about us.
     I wonder what His first word was. I wonder how He reacted when He got His first splinter. I wonder what He was thinking when He saw His first sibling. I wonder how He dealt with His first encounter with death. I wonder how hard He laughed when He heard Joseph tell a joke. I wonder what He did when other kids wouldn't play with Him. I wonder what kind of games He made up. I wonder if He had a hard time staying awake when studying. I wonder what food He liked and what food He didn't like. I could go on and on, wondering and wondering. He knew everything, yet humbled Himself so that He knew nothing.
     This is my beloved...this is my friend.
     As a student who is going back to school in 5 days, I'm incredibly thankful that my best friend is not only my savior, but a teacher who gets being a student.
   
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment